Re: [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

On 10/10/2012 08:04 PM, J. Liles wrote:

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:louigi.verona@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hey fellas!

    Would like to present an article I've written. Mostly wrote it to
    start a conversation and hear what others have to say on the subject.

    http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_progress
    <http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_progress>

    You can comment here or on my textboard (which does not require
    registration).

Seems like a pretty negative outlook overall. Progress has definitely
been slower than many of us would like, but that's understandable
considering that most Linux Audio programs are maintained by single
developers (with lots of other projects) or small groups. I'm surprised
you didn't mention Luppp,
Luppp is, to use the word again, very 'potential' but in early alpha state afaik. At this point it doesn't seem to be a development where users can really benefit from.

NON software is a great improvement in the past couple of years. But also concerning the NON software, it's questionable whether it already crossed the border of 'ready for production'. Non-mixer seems to be quite there already. NSM is close, with nsm support in Jalv I think (my) life will be pretty good. Non-sequencer is a great app for composing and it's close, but has imo just too many little issues to be able to be really productive with it. I understand this is a matter of manpower.

A great improvement is the RT kernel being by default in distros like Debian. SetBfree has a lot of potential too ;)