Re: ALSA - JACK via loopback device

On 23/09/12 15:04, Paul Davis wrote:
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Sebastian Rose <s.rose@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thought that "type plug" should autoconfigure the device in use
accordingly. I tried to make a manual configuration with dmix but it didn't
work and I'm not sure if it is necessary. The alsa documentation states
that dmix is used when the device has no hardware mixer and I'm quite sure
that a virtual loopback device has none.

dmix is the only way to do that, unless you include running PulseAudio with
the loopback device.

Since I don't use PulseAudio I will give dmix another shot, thanks.

its also getting pretty silly when you're trying to use ALSA dmix or
PulseAudio to mix multiple non-JACK-aware applications into a psuedo-device
that communicates with JACK, given that device sharing is (partially) what
JACK was intended for in the first place.

Silly: yes. But if I want to use Flashplayer and Skype at the same time and don't want to use different soundcards (quite a recording hassle for podcast production, for example) and use a decent audio interface with a good microphone, I'm stuck with this choice.