Re: xruns no matter what

On 16/09/12 00:45, david wrote:
On 09/15/2012 12:19 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
On 14/09/12 21:07, david wrote:
On 09/14/2012 07:14 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
Hello,

I'm quite a bit puzzled and so I'm hoping to find something I haven't
considered yet. I'm using a FireWire Saffire LE Audio Interface,
connected to the following PCI card: NEC Corporation uPD72873
[Firewarden] IEEE1394a OHCI 1.1 Link/2-port PHY Controller (rev 01).

Software information: ffado built from svn, jack 1.9.8, kernel 3.5.3
PREEMT (no realtime patch) or 3.4.9-rt17 (with realtime patch), libraw
2.1.0.

No matter what I configure jack to run with, I get regular xruns every
few seconds whilst doing nothing. The last settings I tried were:

Frames/Period: 4096
Sample Rate: 96000
Periods/Buffer: 3
(Latency: 128ms)

And still no avail, results are like this, just after starting, without
actually doing anything:
19:02:48.093 XRUN callback (1).
19:03:03.002 XRUN callback (2).
19:03:05.713 XRUN callback (3).
19:03:08.257 XRUN callback (4).
19:03:12.160 XRUN callback (5).

Interrupt information:
21: 0 1 1 33 1087 339542 IO-APIC-fasteoi firewire_ohci

Things I tried:
Basically everything suggested by the realTimeConfigQuickScan tool,
like
changing CPU governor to "performance" or decreasing swappiness.
I am member of the "audio" groups, which has the following permissions,
as per limits.conf:

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock 8388608
@audio - nice -5

/dev/rtc and /dev/hpet are both read- and writeable by group "audio".

# /etc/init.d/rtirq status
PID CLS RTPRIO NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
1075 FF 90 - 130 0.0 S irq/8-rtc0
1407 FF 85 - 125 0.4 S irq/21-firewire
1063 FF 80 - 120 0.0 S irq/1-i8042
[...]

Any advice on what I could be missing? The same system was working some
time ago, so I really don't know what I did wrong this time. For even
further information, below is the output of ffado-diag:

many thanks,
Sebastian

Try disabling network devices?

On a laptop, wireless drivers typically scan regularly for connections,
causing extended interrupt handling problems ... of course, don't know
if your desktop machine has any kind of wireless connection built in
(Bluetooth?) but maybe?

The desktop machine has no wireless hardware.

Didn't really think it did, just wondered. Debian on my laptop loads a
Bluetooth driver even though the laptop has no Bluetooth hardware. But
my laptop installation has been migrated from machine to machine, so
it's possibly just a remnant from earlier hardware.

Well it looks like I found the problem. I'm running 256 frames/period @ 96kHz and 3 periods/buffer (8ms latency) now without xruns. Turns out it was libffado's fault (or rather: the way I was building it). I suspected as much since the xrun behaviour was consistent no matter what Jack settings I was using. I'm using the pro-audio overlay for Gentoo to build libffado from svn source. The package system was building libffado with debugging information and without optimizations (a bug in the ebuild file). Once I changed that, it _seems_ to be running quite fine. Thanks everybody for your help.

best,
Sebastian