Praat problems - no more console usage?

Hello everyone1
Is anyone here a little familiar with praat? Praat is supposed to run on the commandline, accepting its scripting languages. But when I ran praat just now - after years of no use -, I only get this:
praat -
(praat:25242): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
On the praat webstie, this method is still mentioned in the tutorial as acceptable. I'm running Debian Squeeze and Praat 5.1.42-1 from the Debian repository. Last time I started it must have beenunder Debian Lenny. Does anyone have any suggestion? all the libraries are correctly installed, or should be. I did work with GNOME a little on this release.
  Warm regards
           Julien