Re: Debian desktop news

On 08/08/2012 11:51 PM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
I certainly prefer XFCE to GNOME 3 but XFCE still has a few rough
edges and bugs

Yes, but a lot fewer bugs than LXDE!

and Thunar is no longer the lightweight app it once
claimed to be.

I don't know how it used to be. Compared to Dolphin, it's much lighter.

I use rox filer on my Pandaboard as it has a comparable
feature to Thunar but loads almost instantly compared to the 20s or so
I can be waiting for Thunar to get its act together (this is running
off a SSD via USB2). I can load dolphin in the same time it takes to
load Thunar under fluxbox.

I use Thunar, it works for me. It's what XFCE uses to display its desktop. A friend who uses XFCE uses PCManFm and likes that.

That 20s (or longer) Thunar load is due to a longstanding bug (either in Thunar or the underlying GNOME Virtual File System it uses). The workaround for that is to disable GVFS's automatic scanning of network shares. (Or do like I did: remove the GVFS module that does that. I mount file shares using fstab, so no need to have GVFS scan for network shares.)

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine