Re: musicmadewithlinux: soundcloud music stream

On 18/07/12 00:22, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 16:02 +0200, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
Hi,

I just added a soundcloud plugin to http://linux-audio.com . I've been
listening to it for a couple of hours now. Lots of good tracks on the
stream.

Worth checking out if you have some spare time.

I'm looking into adding a bandcamp stream next.

Thanks for the recommendation :). I prefer to listen to "free" music.
Regarding to bandcamp I've got some serious reservations (not of that
kind "Ralf overdoes it agin", but really), IIRC you need to allow
everything and you must have flash installed. It might be
better/different today, but IIRC it was like that some years ago.
Good music, but an odd web page.

You no longer need Flash to upload music to Bandcamp, unless you're using an old version of IE -- uploads now use HTML5 features in Firefox, Chrome, etc. On desktop browsers, I think you still need Flash for streaming, but it uses HTML5 for streaming on mobile devices, and the embedded player widgets for use on other sites also use HTML5 on desktop browsers that support it.

There's one caveat with the HTML5 support -- it's only on browsers that can play MP3 natively, so Chrome will use HTML5, but Firefox still requires Flash. Last time I checked, Soundcloud's new HTML5 widgets still use Flash on Firefox, for the same reason.

Thanks
Leigh