Re: [OT] GNOME UI

On 12/07/12 17:32, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Simon Wise wrote:

On 12/07/12 03:30, david wrote:

I'm firmly convinced that the GNOME design team begins every session with
the
question, "What more functionality can we remove from users today?"
Eventually,
the GNOME UI will consist of a single button in the middle of the screen
reading, "Shutdown computer". ;-)

"Perfection is achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away” – Antoine de
Saint-Exupery

I wish more people had that in mind :)

Perhaps its a matter of what users and platforms they are catering for ... a
UI that works well on the smaller, hand held devices with touch interfaces
rather than a mouse and keyboard is very important if that is what you are
using, and lots of devices are like that now. It is becoming the most
familiar interface.

OTOH, reportedly G3 works just fine for desktop users with no
preconceived ideas :)

Which is a much more direct way of saying what I blathered on about in the next paragraphs.

It is worth giving the new interfaces a serious try, not just spend a day or so feeling uncomfortable because the familiar things have changed and you haven't learnt the new ways to do things.

Simon