Re: FireWire audio on Linux: past, present and future

On 06/15/2012 04:46 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:

Excellent article/interviews. However, it ignores a rather salient
development - the gradual disappearance of Firewire from desktop and laptop
machines. The last time I shopped I was surprised to see that FW, like PCI,
is becoming rare hardware, presumably due to improved performance from USB3
(?).

It's rather because of USB2 stack on WIndows becoming more solid.
There were times when some M-Audio's USB2 interfaces couldn't be used
on Windows at all due to IRQ collisions. A friend of mine gave up on
one and exchanged it to a FireWire interface some 6 or 7 years ago,
and that was quite common.

So, I thought about this, but then again I couldn't find much info on
actual rejection of FireWire by vendors as in numbers, stats etc. So I
thought I'd rather skip it.

Thunderbolt is an interesting approach, but I've yet to see a single
audio interface for real work, not fun, using it.

Otherwise a fine piece. Thanks for the pointer, Alex !

You are welcome :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org

The real reason for vendor rejection of Firewire is the higher cost of licensing Firewire vs USB. Margins on hardware are almost non-existent, so every little bit of cost lowered helps.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx