Re: Box under £400

On 05/30/2012 09:21 AM, Sciss wrote:
thanks for the link and the info. so you think atom processors are
fine enough? the latency actually doesn't matter in my case. i'm more
worried that i'm going to through a lot of CPU heavy stuff on it, as
this will run experimental software I wrote myself (and I won't have
any time for performance tuning of the software itself).

I have an Atom N450 netbook. In practical terms, its limits for a single task are:

  * Time-stretching a clip in realtime to 50% to original
    time span.

  * A set with 4-5 monophonic synths, and 4-5 pure audio
    tracks.

  * All of the Renoise sample programs

  * Most anything you can throw at Mixxx.

While it has very good audio performance -- it has significantly less headroom than a Core2 or i-series processor (feels like a factor of 2 or 4).

Other non-audio tasks:

  * Large compiles take 4-6x longer (e.g. kernel, Qt)

  * Number crunching tasks are very slow.  It's like the
    floating point stuff is driving drunk.

  * Processor has a high performance hit for inefficient
    memory access (compared to Core2, i-series).

  * Processor doesn't benefit as much from SIMD (SSE)
    optimizations.  E.g. you're lucky to get a 2x performance
    boost using SIMD instructions... whereas a Core2 or i-series
    will see at least a 2x performance boost.

  * Most Atom devices have only 1GB RAM (2GB if you're lucky).
    I've not seen an Atom device with more then 2GB.

Finally, all this experience is in 32-bit mode. I've been running in 64-bit mode recently, but haven't done much audio with it. Overall, it feels about the same.

-gabriel