Re: SFZ vs. GIG

On 05/27/2012 07:33 PM, Victor A. Stoichita wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm planing to make a gamelan soundfont to use with linuxsampler. Nothing really complicated: 1 sample per key, no sustain loops, some keys use 2 velocity layers.
I hesitate between GIG and SFZ format. Do they have different possibilities, or are they just two ways to do the same things?
Also, what would be the workflow to create an SFZ file on linux?

Cheers to all,
Victor

there's a gui editor for .gig.. sfz you edit by hand, once you get to know sfz it, with a simple plaintext editor, is far superior than a gui could ever be.. There is however a gui for windows that works in wine called sfZed, it has a way of putting lots of rowchanges in the .sfz file tho so the files have several times more lines than one edited by hand.. makes it a pain in the butt to read/customize..

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AVrDa5LNWylnZGZ6ejk4eHRfNDVjbmsyd3Zmag