Re: studioware equivalent for ardour or rosegarden on linux

On 16/05/12 14:21, Robin Paulson wrote:
hi all,
i'm wondering if anyone can help me with some software i am looking for.

i recall some years back, when i was using cakewalk/sonar in the late
90s/early 00s, a facility called studioware which allowed me to
control a hardware synthesiser from within cakewalk. this was driven
by files which one could load, which then represented each of the
functions of a midi-connected hardware synthesiser/sampler/fx unit by
an on-screen button, slider, dial, etc.

I think Ctrlr is exactly what you're after. It's a MIDI control GUI that lets you design control panels for synths, or load control panels others have built for them. It runs as either a standalone app or as a VST plugin, which should theoretically work in Ardour 3.

http://ctrlr.org/

Unfortunately it only coincidentally has a Linux build -- it uses the JUCE framework, which supports Linux, but the Ctrlr developers aren't really familiar enough with Linux to maintain a proper port, so it doesn't actually seem to work right now.

I feel like all it really needs is one Linux user that has the time and the ability to maintain it. Hopefully someone here can answer that call!

Thanks
Leigh