Re: getting better performance on arch/kernel 3.3.4

On 2012-05-11 06:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
OT: I dropped Arch for music. I still like Arch, but IMO the rolling
release model makes an audio workstation unstable/unusable. I can't
remember when I run pacman the last time to upgrade my install. I go
with Debian and Ubuntu. IMO Ubuntu is the better choice for a DAW. YMMV.

Been there, done that.

I ran debian for years, but god tired of the ancient software available in stable. I could run testing or unstable, but that introduces the same problems you mention. In my experience the minor breaks that can happen in an arch upgrade are 1) small and 2) easy to fix, especially thinks to the high quality of the arch documentation/community. You could argue (and are probably hinting at) that I was bit by exactly that: the rolling upgrade.

I switched to ubuntu for the 1/2 year release cycle, and was happy with it for a few years. The best thing ubuntu has going for it IMO is the mainstream-ness, meaning that more people use it and (esp if you stick to the default software) bugs are less rare. However the bloat, the poor realtime kernel support, the rumor that ubuntu was considering switching to a rolling release model and the general direction ubuntu is heading in made me switch to arch.

I realize that you were going OT and trying to be helpful. However I'm sure that if I follow your advise and install ubuntu, the next time I get a problem some other guy will tell me that he prefers arch, debian, gentoo, suse (or windows) and that my problem would go away if I switch. In the long run dist hopping is not really fruitful for neither the user or the community, and I would (as I did in the past) think hard before switching distro, and I would only consider it the last resort.

But hey, thanks for sharing the thought :-)

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk