Re: OT small usb interface (1in 2out)

Am 27.04.2012 07:54, schrieb Kees van Veen:
Hi,

Hello -- please no more TOFU OK ;-()

Maybe a silly off-topic question, but how would, say, 4 ART Usb devices
connected (and 'jack'ed with alsa_in or zita_ajbridge) compare to 1
(firewire?) device with 8 XLR inputs ? Is having multiple USB devices
for audio a good idea on Linux (or in general) ?

Their chipsets should use a single clocksource. Since the ART-devices have a SPDIF-interface, this could be possible. You would need one device acting as the master and all others have to sync as slaves.

Thanks,
Kees

plutek wrote:
From: yvan volochine<yvan.sc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  small usb interface (1in 2out)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:35:00 +0200

hi,

sorry to post YAThread about usb interfaces but I need a small usb one
with 1 in and 2 out (basically a mic and a loud stereo out).

I have seen the 2 following ones and I wonder if you guys and girls
could give me some wise advices about them (or any other tip really):

- esi ugm96:
www.esi-audio.com/products/ugm96/
the output seem weird, there's a line-out and a headphone
out. wondering if there's any difference between the 2 (i.e. can I use
both as mono-out?).
pros: very small, +20v for mic input
cons: no level control, wondering about outputs..

- m-audio fast track usb:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrack.html
pros: input/output levels, cheap
cons: RCA output (bouh)
hi yvan!

i don't know about those devices, but i just purchased an ART USB Dual
Tube Pre and am very happy with it. works ootb as a class-compliant
USB device, with no drivers or firmware required.

http://artproaudio.com/art_products/signal_processing/usb_audio_devices/product/usbdualtubepre/

i believe it meets your requirements (and more) -- here in Canada, the
street price is about CDN$155.

cheers!
.pltk.