Re: First for Linux

???

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Two brand new plugins are included in Harrison Mixbus 2.0.6: A sustainer and a
reverb named Gverb+, wich might be a gverb on steroids - both are very good.

OK

The thing that is very special here is that this LV2 plugins are only for the
Linux version of Mixbos at he moment!

Thats disappointing as I was under the impression Mixbus would be supporting LV2 on all platforms inc Win and OSX - I think we need to see SOME support for LV2 on non-Linux (or UNIX clone) OSs if it is ever to break free of its niche and gain more widespread support. For sure, Reaper et al won't consider supporting LV2 if Mixbus doesn't.

Will Mixbus support LV2 on Win and OSX any time soon Ben/ Paul?

Ok, the reason may be that Linux users in general are more geekier and handles
potentially buggy new software better those in the other OSes, but it's also
another new sign that shows that the Linux desktop user is becoming more and
more interesting for commercial vendors. :-)

What is this sign that the Linux desktop is becoming more interesting to commercial vendors? Mixbus? Android is a major player in mobile which I suppose could be kinda good news for the kernel (or at least it would be if the Android stuff re-enters kernel.org as I think Google have a separate kernel tree for Android atm) and Linux is doing as well as ever server side but commercial Linux desktop apps are still very much a rarity and this is normally put down to lack of standardisation between distros and ever changing kernel and other lib API/ABI's which doesn't look set to change any time soon.

I know Ubuntu pissed a lot of people off with making Unity their standard DE but I think thats going to seem like a very minor disruption compared to Windows 8 - at least under Linux we still have KDE and XFCE etc if you don't like Unity and GNOME 3. However, Windows 7 has proved popular and MS will support that for some time yet even if 8 turns out to be a Fista 2 / ME 3.

Jostein