Re: Fedora and Audio [was: Ubuntu Studio]

On 03/24/2012 06:55 AM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

On 18 March 2012 at 17:54, Paul Davis<paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

there's nothing wrong with CCRMA maintainance. what has
happened with CCRMA is that the overwhelming majority of what
fernando used to do (packaging apps) has moved into Fedora
itself. that just leaves a few basic tasks which fedora doesn't
do and fernando does (primarily building an RT-PREEMPT kernel).

I went looking to find out more.  The information at the end of these
links is informative and promising to me.

The Fedora 16 Musician's Guide:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Musicians_Guide/index.html

The Audio Creation FedoraProject, which looks like they're working to
have a Fedora Audio spin for Fedora 18 (yet to be created).

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Audio_Creation

It's really nice to see that!

Just thought I'd share what I found on the chance that I'm not the
only one who didn't know.

Thanks for posting Kevin. I 'm one of the members of the Fedora Audio SIG behind the spin. It is in early days yet, but there was a recent article which goes into a little bit more detail behind its goals [1].

I'd also just like to point out that the project has also been accepted as an idea for the Google Summer of Code [2]. If there are any students who are keen on linux audio and would like to be involved in an open source project I'd suggest checking it out!

Brendan

[1] http://www.muktware.com/news/3445/fedora-audio-spin-creating-music-fedora-exclusive-interview [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012#Fedora_Audio_Creation_Spin

Cheerio.....

--