Re: midi file editing

Le 15/03/2012 04:55, Rustom Mody a écrit :

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM, david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/14/2012 02:51 AM, Renato wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:11:17 +0530
Rustom Mody<rustompmody@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

[I am asking this after wrestling with rosegarden for an hour or so
and getting no sound]

Hi, sorry if this is obvious to you, but just in case, you'd
probably need a soundfont (like fluidr3) and a soundfont player (like
qsynth) to have sound - maybe rosegarden has a built-in soundfont
player?

No, it doesn't. That's what qsynth, whysynth or Timidity (if you can make it work) is for.

I upgraded rosegarden, gave up on qsynth and (re)started timidity to use jack.
Now rosegarden plays without any new connection -- so thanks.

Anyway you should be able to make it output the midi of the
track to qsynth (using qjackctl), and therefore have sound.

RG 11.11.42 just automatically connects.

I use RG mostly for scores. Bringing in a MIDI file usually requires some cleanup. For one thing, RG prefers contrapuntal compositions to have a separate track for each of the melodies, while lots of MIDIs from the web have all the melodies on the same track.

So how to cleanup? I only see one staff at a time.
Basic questions: Is rosegarden the (correct) tool to edit/doctor midi files?
Whats the best resource to get into midi jargon like track, channel etc? And then map it onto rosegarden?
Hi,

you may like to read
http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=manuals_tutorials_and_howto_s#rosegarden_-_audio_and_midi_sequencer_score_editor

HTH,
Fred

Ah, si chaque grain de sable choisissait d'apporter sa goutte d'eau, hein ?