Re: midi file editing

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Nils <list@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:11:17 +0530
Rustom Mody <rustompmody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The attached file is a Bach fugue midi I found somewhere on the net.
> When I import it into nted it shows alright (ignoring sharp flat mixups)
> When I import it into musescore the entire bass is replicated into the
> treble clef.
>
> Asking on the musescore lists I get that the problem is with the midi file
> http://musescore.org/en/node/15501
>
> I am recommended to use sequencing software to cleanup before importing.
> What such software should I try to use?
> [I am asking this after wrestling with rosegarden for an hour or so and
> getting no sound]

There is only one problem here: "midi I found somewhere on the net."

The solution is: Don't convert midi to notation, it makes no sense and is futile.

What you got here is
Bach, Das Wohltemperierte Clavier I, Fuga IV (BWV 849)

Visit http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=596 and you get the notation as PDF, the lilypond source file, a midi and more information.

Hi Nils
Yes I am aware that midi is a lower level information than score.
I did not make it very clear in my question earlier (sorry about that) that this particular piece
-- bach C# minor fugue --
is not specifically important to me as working out a workflow which allows lifting a given midi to a higher score level.  Nted does a decent job of this. Musescore less so.  Just searching for the best tool.
Earlier I used nted exclusively. Since now I have a bunch of non-musician non-linux users getting interested I need something cross platform -- hence musescore.

Currently my modus operandi (when starting with a midi file):
Read into nted.
Export midi staff by staff separately.
Read each of those midis separately into musescore
Paste together.

And so I am just looking for some better tools...