Re: My JX-8P is dead, any SW based synth that can handle the heritage? :-(

On 11/03/12 6:55 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
So my question is: Does it exist a real Linux analog-sounding,
subtractive, chrash free and maintained SW synth that can match or
substitute the HW above? I've sniffed at great synths like amSynth, AMS,
but they don't sound that 8P-ish in my ears - on the other hand, it might
be me that's not good at tweaking them. Is it anybody here who knows both
the great analogue sounding Rolands and sw synths that can put me in the
right direction?

I did a lot of work with TAL NoiseMaker on my recent RPM album, and it was really great to work with. It's very much your traditional subtractive synth, but it has a good feature set, and a straightforward UI, and it sounds great.

If you're familiar with programming the JX-8P, then you should feel right at home; I don't know how close it would sound to the JX-8P in particular, but it's definitely capable of a lot of those classic synth sounds. It also has an effects section that includes two different chorus algorithms, which are at least vaguely Juno-like -- both sound great.

I've been using the native VST version, from the Distrho project, but there's an LV2 port in progress as well.

Thanks
Leigh