Re: Music made with Linux: What happened in the middle?

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 23:52:08 +1000, Julien Claassen <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Stuzz!

If I had to point to an odd one out, I'd really say, that this would be "Let it slide". I was surprised to find something as jazzy amidst the rest. I couldn't say, finding something so light hearted surprised me, because there are a few, which strike me as light.

While listening to this song, I wonder if you might have been thinking of the album as a whole and asking yourself "What happened in the middle?" ;)

I can see, why you would like from the flames so much. Pitty, that you couldn't growl to it a little, that would have made it even more perfect. Very good playing there. Very precise. That is something that struck me in all the pieces, you precision. It is refreshing to hear, that these things are possible outside commercial bands. Hm, perhaps they are even more common than I might think. But I didn't find a lot of small amateur production metal and even less of that came close to being good. So and now I wait to stand corrected or being stoned for my ignorance. :-)

From the Flames was 2nd to Around You. Overall on the whole album I was most critical about the vocals, and I was most happiest with the vocals on Around You and in general, it's loud and soft dynamics. From the Flames ended up with my favorite riff... the one I eventually sing "It won't happen again" over (that's why I repeated it so often :)) Don't get me wrong though, I like all the songs in there own way. Growling is on my list of things to work on.

the only thing, that is a pitty about the production, is that you always moved your vocals so far into the background. Less reverb, probably highpassed and the vocals more up to the front, would have done them good. Well, it won't stop me from liking it and listening again and telling my best friend, who is the real metal-head in our relationship.

The funny thing is, the further I pushed the vocals into the background, the happy with them I became :) However, I've received quite positive feedback for them so I'll be sure to take your suggestions into consideration for the future.

:-) I'm sure he will enjoy it even more. thanks for sharing this, I hope, that we might hear a little more of that throughout the year. Would be a pitty, to wait for the next RPM. I'd be interested to hear, what you come up with, when you have more time to work on one piece. Perhaps it might get even more prog metal. Did I mention, that I love prog, not only in rock?

I had a good time working on the album, and have continued to record a few bits and pieces since. Of course my next release will be another "Music made with Linux" post in here.

Thanks Julien.

Regards
Stuart
http://stuzz.bandcamp.com

PS. I'm not sure how the visually impaired would like their responses formatted. So I apologize if the above is irksome.