Re: iPad and Linux audio

On 07/02/12 11:22, Harry van Haaren wrote:
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    did you watch the videos?

Nope :)

But I did just now: Sure its cool stuff, but is this going to be the
next stuff played on radio?

Does this matter?

Is this what society thinks is "good" and "creative" expression?

Does this matter?

Perhaps I'm going a bit OT, but I personally just
don't relate with trying to make music using a tool that's so
unpredictable. And when the composer / user can't reliably use a tool I
feel that something gets lost, because the situation isn't progressing
towards where the composer intends.

I don't get the impression from those videos that the tools are unpredictable, but if they are, it's down to the software, not the hardware, so I think it's a bit early to be writing off an entire category of input devices based solely on demo videos for a couple of apps.

There are a lot of things you can do with a touch screen, and the iPad 2 has enough processing power to do some really interesting synthesis, too. With the ability to connect MIDI and audio interfaces to it, I think it has a lot of interesting possibilities, especially for live use.

It boils down to this: is <x> a better interface to create music? (Or an
interface to create better music..?)

Better? Who knows, but different and interesting, certainly. It's not something that everyone is going to have a use for, and I'm no fan of the iPad in particular -- I wish that Android was capable of the same things -- but I'm still really excited to see what people will come up with.

Thanks
Leigh