Re: help for a LAUer wannabe

On 06.02.2012 13:33, Renato wrote:
Hi, I've got a friend who would like to try out linux for audio and
he's asking me for help. He's totally new to linux and it's been a
while since I've used super-begginner's documentation, so I'm asking
you for help.

So, what distro should I reccomend him? is Ubuntu Studio 64 maintained
and well documented? Or better go with vanilla Ubuntu?
I know many like AVLinux, but I guess for a total newbie Ubuntu is
safer since it's easier to find docs online and help when you get stuck
with something (and sooner or later that happens when learning a new
OS).

hallo,

from my experience, i am not using ubuntu but aptosid, searching in web for some solutions, i find tons of questions in ubuntu sites but not really much answers/solutions. also i read lot of people reporting that newer ubuntus are broken for audio work, but i haven’t tried myself. i am maintaining my neighbors ubuntu, but he uses it only for tv, internet, mails etc.

you better choose some specialized distro like AVlinux which has a smaller user base, but they are much more into linux audio. combine that with LAU and you should probably be ready to go pretty soon.

cheers,
doc
Passed that, I'd like to point him to some good not-outdated
docs, bonus points if in italian. For starters a little
simple guide on setting up Qjackctl, maybe with screenshots, would be
gold.

Generally speaking, if you have any suggestions of things I should or
should not tell him, you're more than welcome.

BTW currently I think he's using fruity loops on windows.

Also, a while ago I had found an italian forum on linux audio, but now
I've lost it - anyone has a link?

cheers,
renato