Soundcard broken? What else can I test

Hello everyone!
I had strange goings-on this morning. Yesterday night, I left some sound playing, which looked like it had finished allright. But on another console I saw, that a paused mplayer had some errors and wouldn't unpause again. I quit it and restarted. No luck, I discovered, that ALSA wasn't working properly. So I rebooted a couple of times. The first time, no Delta soundcard at all. I turned the computer off, felt, that the Delta was properly screwed in its place. Yep. Rebooted, found the soundcard. But the alsamixer settings were a bit wrong. The S/PDIFF items at thwe beginning were set to IEC958 in-l and r, although I'd ALWAYS left them sitting on pcm out. So were the "hw in" elements all set to the same in-l and in-r device. The internal clock was set to iec958 input and couldn't be changed, the default rate was set to 96000, which is always 48000. I rebooted and could changed the internal clock to 48000, I heard a pop, when I did it. Only after that, were aplay and mplayer -ao alsa,default showing movement. Before then, they started and paused at 0, unable to move forward. Still: No Sound! I can start my jack as well. All the volume levels are check. ALL, that I can see in the playback view. In jack I tried using mplayer - with -ao jack) and a direct connection of in/out ports of the card itself. No luck! So please, what else can I do, to eliminate possibilities, that would frighten me.
  Warmly yours
            Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

======      Find my music at      ======