Re: [OT]: Publish music also in OGG format please?

On 01/27/2012 08:06 PM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
May I kindly and humbly suggest that people posting on LAU as links to 'straight' mp3 files also provide a link to a file in OGG format? IMHO it makes sense given the nature of the list and the better experience for readers/listeners and it only really takes very little effort [1]

Lorenzo.

[1] Example using oggenc (in the vorbis-tools package on debian-based distros).
If you have the original wave file (better):

oggenc -q 9 my_file.wav #will create my_file.ogg use -o option to save to another file. See man oggenc for many more options

If you only have an mp3 version (also requires lame):

FILE=my_file; lame --decode $FILE.mp3 /tmp/$FILE.wav && oggenc -q 9 /tmp/$FILE.wav -o ./$FILE.ogg # replace my_file at the beginning with the filename of the mp3 file withut extension # could be done without the temporary wave file through raw pipes but one must know sampling rate, bitrate and channels of the file

Hear hear on posting ogg files.
However transcoding lossy formats is not really optimal.

Roger