Re: [Consortium] Protest

Am 19.01.2012 um 19:09 schrieb Folderol <folderol@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:57:41 -0500
Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@xxxxxxxxx >wrote:

Short version, yes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16623831

Longer version, it apparently scared the financial supporters of the bill enough they are starting their own pro-SOPA advertising campaign and media
blitz.  So that battle is far from over.

Arstechnica has some great articles on it from yesterday if you care to
read them.

   Seablade

Speaking of which...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/sopa-backer-tells-house-defectors-facts-will-overcome-fears.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

So yes some people got the message, not all. And the fight is far from
over.

     Seablade

They are scared - that's good
They have lots of money to fund misleading ads (or outright lies) - that's bad.

Too many people don't understand the technology enough to make or demand sound decisions. That's a huge opportunity - but not only for us, of course.

So yes, you're right, Will.

It's up to all of us to find and communicate good metaphors that provide a starting point for those we want to get interested and involved. There'll always be bills, acts and campaigns, I don't know any reason how the fight could ever be over.

- Burkhard

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk