Re: bitwig announcement

On 01/17/2012 03:09 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM, david wrote:

And, finally, most pro graphic designers use Macs.

I'm afraid you had spent quite a while under a shower of marketing
bullshit before you posted that :) This is absolutely not true.
Perhaps you are thinking in terms of western market, and even then --
a special group of it.

Apple indeed made some nice decisions oriented towards pro designers
and prepress engineers (e.g. ColorSync), but even then they got some
things terribly wrong (which has a lot to do with infancy of color
management per se).

That's true, they were doing it on personal computers before anyone else.

programmer, fluent with the command line, etc.) IMHO, Microsoft ignores
graphic designers because in repeated (not-well-done efforts) they've been
unable to crack the market. Other competitors with much stronger Windows
graphics products than MS have barely been able to survive, let alone grow
(CorelDraw, Xara).

Corel quitted the Mac market, because they weren't able to justify
development with sales. Which, I'm sure, you are fully aware of.

Corel was never in the Mac graphics market. CorelDraw is Windows only.

WordPerfect was in the Mac market: their last version of WP for Mac was winning awards from Mac magazines of the time when WP dropped the Mac market.

move to Corel's HQ. Considering what Corel did with its other Linux products
(killed them), I may have to find a replacement for it. And the other RAW
processing software on Linux just is not feature competitive.

Make sure you've had a look at darktable ;)

Just installed it from Sid repository (Ubuntu is an abomination). Darktable looks cute. I think it has about 10-20% of the features of Bibble 5. Maybe 40% of the features of Bibble Lite. The UI is cute. Absolutely no clue about how to save an image after you develop it: nothing in the UI indicates anything about it.

Will poke around at it some more, but not feeling particularly optimistic right now about it.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx