[OT]: Hybrid SSD disks

Hi all,

I've lately heard of so-called hybrid ssd disks and was wondering if anyone has experiences with them esp. relating to audio, but also for general use.

While advantages (and drawbacks) of pure SSD are quite straightforward, but the price tag is still high, I'm not totally convinced of the advertised 'advantages' of the hybrid ones.

On the more linux side of things, one aspect which is not very clear to me is compatibility, especially what sort of software hackery the 'adaptive' optimisations include and to which extent these are Windows/Mac only, e.g. one of the popular brands states Linux compatibility and in the spec. sheet "Can be used with Linux"

I was also thinking that this probably relates mostly to the laptop universe, as I guess one could create a 'homemade' hybrid system on a workstation with multiple drive slots by simply getting a smaller (now reasonably affordable) SSD disk for the system and keeping a traditional platter one for, say, storage etc.

Lorenzo.