Re: OS for realtime operation

Am 09.01.2012 15:24, schrieb Moshe Werner:
Hi everyone,

after many years of studio work using the openSuse distro with the
kernel-rt from Jan Engelhard it seems that he no longer continues his great
work on rt kernels.

This made me somewhat puzzeled too until I tried the kernel desktop for Suse to find out, that it delivers real good.

I have virtually the same results on the same machine. The only difference is, that the desktop-kernel is not the same as solid if Jack is set for very low latency (such as: lower than 5ms). For the reall-world day to day work with big Ardour-projects, I cannot find any difference regarding xruns.

Being more on the recording engineer side of things and not a Linux expert
(user yes, expert no) I really fret at the thought of patching and
compiling my own kernel package.

I would like to hear your opinions on what distro is solid for audio work
and has a reliable rt kernel.
Also I would appreciate if you could explain the degree of difficulty and
learning curve of the specific distro.

My system:
Intel i7 950
Gigabyte motherboard
6 Gb ram
Rme HDSP 9652 audio interface

Appreciate your answers.

Moshe

P.S. I tried to use Ubuntu on the same machine I use openSuse 11.2 on and
got pretty bad results regarding latency and x runs on jack 2.

Ubuntu works OK for me here but is indeed not as solid and powerful as Suses desktop-kernel. At the other hand I tend to use it anyway. There are more xruns but not too many (about 2-3/h under serious load), it is quite stable and forgiving(not a single case of jackd crashed or frozen) and the best: it is the most comfortable distro I ever had. Listening to youtube-videos or using any sound-source imaginable while Ardour is up and running whithout even the need to think about how this happens is kind of nice methinks ;-)