Re: qjackctl and ubuntu 11.10 unity

Am 28.12.2011 05:05, schrieb Leigh Dyer:
On 27/12/11 11:26 PM, Ralf Madorf wrote:

Q regarding to Rui's apps is for Qt. Qt apps are fine with (KDE ;) but
even with) GNOME. No Linux audio user seriously will use GNOME3 or
Unity. IMO Linux audio has become pro-audio, but nowadays the
surroundings, such as a DE, become unusable for pro-audio.

Unusable how? Perhaps I don't meet your definition of a pro-audio Linux
user, but GNOME 3 works well for me and my music work.

That is exactly it: His definitions are not your definitions and mine differ from both. In the end there is no such thing as a definitive audio-user work-flow.

But there are some things that very likely will be part of the work of 95% of all audio users under Linux:

1.) Its modular baby: a DE should be good in handling multiple apps and their windows simultaneously. Apps that are written in GTK, QT and any other GUI-set.

To me that means, that GNOME 3 is not perfect(though perfectly usable) since I want to keep everything about the 10-15 windows in my sessions under MY control. I want virtual desktops for Ardours editor and Ardours mixer and others for Qtractor, Guitarix, Hydrogen you name it. And I want to be the one who decides what window is on what desktop and when and how do I switch to another. Usually I have 6 Desktops involved in audio sessions plus others for Mozilla etc.

2.) A DE must not interfere with Jack and Qjackctl.

I can do all that and actually do it in KDE3/4, GNOME2, XFCE, Fluxbox.

So in the end I do not care that much about Unity, GNOME3 or some strange default-settings for KDE4 -- all these are lesser evils, not cool and we all would be better off without but none of these threaten the usability of a Linux-System for audio or any other work. You dislike Unity? Try XFCE or KDE, post you choice and its reasons in a forum or a list to make the maintainers noticing it. Complaints alone are not that useful.

The overview
display makes it easy to jump between windows with the mouse, and
otherwise, it does a great job of keeping out of my way, giving me
maximum space for the various apps that I'm using.

Thanks
Leigh