Re: Reinstalling Ubuntu - Which version ?

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

>> There are other dists than ubuntu too :) that in many cases are far better suited for audio...
Yeah I guess. But I'm not only using my pc for audio as it's the family laptop :)
Anyway I think it's my last attempt at ubuntu as I get tired of it, if think it's great to begin with but now I want something a bit more... well... stable and smaller. Something I can have easy control.
So which ones would you suggest for reasonable tweaking, easily maintanable, with good hardware support (as I'm using a laptop) and fun to use for people who don't care about which OS they're using (meaning a cool and friendly desktop with the regular apps that one can use on other OS) ?

> Also, there is linux 2.6.33-rt for lucid in kxstudio PPA. It is not in the main PPA but look for "KXstudio team kernels and drivers".
Great thanks Pablo, I'll try this one...

> Tango Studio is Ubuntu-based, dedicated to audio and has a very good realtime kernel.
I've been looking at TangoStudio earlier but it's too much audio/video oriented for me. I want something a bit more versatile (with automatic package update for instance). I don't want to bother to update my system manually.  Actually, I just use a few apps (jack, ardour, hydrogen, bristol, yoshimi plus effects) not the whole bunch so I always fear these distros (tangostudio, ubuntustudio, ..) that come with a lot of apps. I usually get lost

Thanks and cheers
jy

2011/11/13 Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 11/13/2011 12:58 PM, Simon Wise wrote:

indeed, especially if you want to do your own system tweaking ...

  ... but if you do want ubuntu you could try xubuntu instead

Hello Simon,

Ubuntu is perfectly suited for system tweaking, it's just another Linux distribution.

Best,

Jeremy