Sound fonts

Can anyone suggest a better sf2 player than qsynth. This seems to have gone
strange over the last couple of updates (debian squeeze version). Reverb seems
to be all or nothing, MIDI control of main volume (cc7) is patchy and I can't
seem to find a way to filter unwanted MIDI messages.

I don't know if some of this is down to the soundfonts themselves.
The ones I mostly use are:

FluidR3-GM.sf2
GeneralUser GS 1.4.sf2
PC51f.sf2