Re: small/cheap devices that can run jackd?

Ken Restivo wrote:
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:10:13PM -1000, david wrote:
Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
On 10/24/2011 07:23 PM, Alessandro Preziosi (licnep) wrote:
Does anybody have any idea for a device
(smartphone/tablet/netbook/mini-pc...) that could run jackd and thus be used
as an effects processor or synth module?
I really don't know where to look, but the idea intrigues me. It should
probably be something with a usb port, in order to connect midi stuff or an
external audio card.
Any idea?
Hello Alessandro,

A netbook is probably your best bet. I'm using a cheap Packard Bell
myself as a guitar effect unit or as a synth module. Took some time to
set it up but it works remarkably well.
And if you set it up so it's running either no GUI or a very light desktop environment, and turn off things like wireless, it should work reasonably. I believe the person on the list who uses a netbook for synthesizer uses linxusampler loading a 4GB piano aoundfont on a 2GB netbook without any problems.

That would have been me, I think. I gigged more or less constantly with this for over 2 years.

Circa 2008 era Asus EEE 1000, 1.2Ghz Atom, with SSD drive, 2GB RAM.

I ran, simultaneously, LinuxSampler, several FluidSynth instances, MonoSynth, Beatrix, several Jack-Rack instances packed with LADSPA stuff, a mixer app, some homegrown daemons in c and pythin, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. Live. All night long. This was of course with an Ingo RT kernel.

Worked great. I'd recommend netbooks for Linux audio live performance.

Thanks, Ken, thought it was you. The newer netbooks (my wife's is about 6 months old) runs a dual-core, 1.6GHz Atom.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx