Re: [Ardour-Users] MIDI workflow

Le 17/10/2011 21:43, Edward Diehl a écrit :
I'm running AVLinux5 with kernel 3.0.6-avl-4 which is not RT but has the
PREEMPT patch (not really sure of the difference).  My general
understanding is that with recent kernels the RT patch is not really
needed.   However, I would think the RT patch would mainly affect latency
rather than CPU usage.  Also, AVLinux has the rtirq script.   I am a bit
puzzled by DSP usage, too.
Hi Edward,

sorry for the long book, it may help ?

http://www.restivo.org/blog/archives/sanity-checking-rtirqs

upthere a link that you may like, to dig, and down some useful commands, they are the kind of 'howto-reminder' made for the "ok, let's format /, I f***** it up again" man than I am !!

For your DSP excessive use, you may pay attention to :
-never use PulseAudio, have only ALSA (and Jack))))
-check if Jack settings and IRQ prios are ok
-killall services and daemons that you don't use for making music (web, print, automount, bluetooth...)
-not share IRQ with video
-record audio (Ardour session in fact) in another HD than programs if you can
-use a light weight WM (Gnome or Kde are too much "power eaters")

Let me know, I think about trying AVLinux soon (next f***** up near I feel))) and like to read your advice on it with some settings done !!
HTH, Good luck,
Fred

# commands #

ulimit -l     will tell you how much memory you can lock

ulimit -r     will tell you at what realtime priority you can run software

uname -r    will tell which kernel is on use

lspci        list the chips

lsmod        list modules loaded at boot

dmesg        read the bootlog

lsi -v|grep audio        list audio chipset

ps -eo cmd,rtprio will list all the realtime priorities for all your tasks

# maybe too much services started ?
ls /etc/rc2.d        list daemons started at boot

# 2.6.29-rt1 = good kernel for P4!

# Maybe you share an IRQ with video ??
ps -eo cmd,rtprio will list all the realtime priorities for all your tasks
cat /proc/asound/cards         will show the IRQs for your cards
cat /proc/interrupts        list IRQs

# RT prio goes like this :
99 watchdog
90 sound card
80 ALSA
70 Jack
60 Ardour

# at the end of /etc/security/limits.conf (depending your distro, sometimes elsewhere or autogenerate when install Jack) add the following (with sudo gedit ie)

@audio   -  rtprio     99
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
#@audio    -    nice    10

#nice value has nothing to do with real time or latency, forget it !

# jack settings
I record tracks in Ardour with these Jack settings, and it was fine :

-R -P89 -p128 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p128 -n3 -D -Pplughw:0 -i2 -o2 -Xseq

Then I try to mix with many plugins, and due to the "formidable" PC I use,
Ardour don't want to do anything...

So, thanks Ralf, I fixed QJackCtrl settings to :

-R -P89 -p128 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p512 -n2 -D -Pplughw:0 -i2 -o2

# you can record several settings in QJackCtl...