Re: How bad is mp3/ogg

Hartmut Noack wrote:
Am 11.10.2011 23:07, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:57:38PM +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:

My question is: is this really a fair way to judge the artifacts
introduced by encoding?

No, it is only fair to ask your ears for a judgement.

1.) MP3 and OGG are both *different* compared to the original. So both are not "HiFi" in the sense of the word.

2.) every publisher of music has to make the decision if the sounds he/she wants to share with the world are adeaquately represented by MP3 or OGG or not.

To give an quite extreme example: I made a mix of an 50+ track project in Ardour. It did sound OK but for my personal taste it should have been a bit more brilliant/transparent. It was just too fat in a sense... So I transcoded it to OGG and released it on the net to get some ideas of other musicians out there how to make that stuff sound a bit thinner whithout breaking its neck:

http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-ashita-141008.ogg

Test-listening to the OGG-file I discovered, that the process of encoding had made all the difference, I was longing for. So I recoded(sic!) the OGG-file back to WAV to put it on CD.

There is no such thing as "good sound" there are right or wrong sound only.

No, it's completely invalid.

The correct way would be a double blind A/B/X test between the
original and the encoded versions.

Amen to that.

My ears are shot (age and rock'n'roll), and my equipment isn't pro level, but I notice a difference between 32-bit WAV recordings and resulting MP3s (LAME's variable bit rate, quality 2). Mostly more high frequencies in the WAV vs the MP3s. But this isn't double-blind testing.

How about MP4 - any difference between MP3 and MP4 when it comes to sound?

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx