Re: Berklee Certification

On 09/27/2011 08:18 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
On 09/27/2011 06:48 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
If you could document your setup, you'll probably be able to convince
quite a few future students!

I surely will. BTW, Robin, I also used xjadeo extensively for these
classes, it served me very well for syncing music to image.

I'm glad to hear that.

Now that you've graduated and have lots of time (hehe) you may want to
give http://gareus.org/wiki/a3vtl a shot. Basically it allows to control
xjadeo from ardour3 and offers a video-timeline. BUT the usual
alpha-software warnings apply.

The problem is not so much the software; but time and equipment
(instruments, musicians, studio) to record and create those libraries -
especially orchestral sounds libraries for film scoring can be quite
expensive.

Most producers of these sample-libs do simply not have the means to
support free-software: Publishing the samples in a proprietary format
solves their issue of distribution retaining copy-protection.

I wouldn't object to using commercial apps like Kontakt or PLAY on Linux...

I would not object to commercial samples - if the sampler is free :)

Though eventually I'd favor some kind of GPL or CC buyout model. DRM is
evil but musicians still need to eat.

I think the problem boils down to creating an open format for a
commercial sample-library that prevents the user from sharing the
samples while it can still be used (in realtime). The usual GNU/Linux
approaches (e.g. gpg encrypted ramdisk) make it either too easy to
circumvent copy protection or are not suitable for real-time usage.

That's exactly what I meant... I can see there's lots of hard work behind nice samples, but this doesn't mean they couldn't be distributed through more open formats... but I guess it's really an itchy issue. Of course as Brett pointed out even if closed source supporting linux would be a good start...

Tools like http://www.linuxsampler.org/nkitool/ are in constant need to
be updated to new versions...

AFAIK sonokinetic.net is or was looking into making their libs available
for GNU/Linux applications; but I don't know any details.

That would be awesome... I use a lot of Sonokinetic's libraries.

They did sponsor the Linux Audio Conference this year.

maybe we should start asking them repeatedly about Linux support...
I just sent them an inquiry. I will let you know when they respond.

Another Dutch effort: http://opensymphonia.sourceforge.net/ is an active
project towards that goal.

Wonder how that is coming along... not much there right now...

It is still in planning phase.. it only started a few months back and -
alas - there is not much information there how to help except for
donating money.  I am a bit reluctant to do so without knowing the way
they'll go. So far they only outline the goals which IMHO seem a bit too
too unrealistic. Even just the first point on:
http://opensymphonia.sourceforge.net/?page_id=16
"Studio quality 192khz/24bit recording of a entire Orchestra per section
and per instrument, dry and in a concert hall."
would be an investment of>$1M in the commercial world.
And the 2nd: "Multiple articulations" will take at least a year or two.

Well the idea/vision is cool... I wonder if a project like that could get some sort of 'institutional' sponsorship/support, like from conservatoires, music academy, similarly to how some OS projects are sponsored by universities

Lorenzo.

let's hope Joey can pull this one off!

robin