Re: lowest usable latency from a USB 1 device?

On 09/16/2011 06:33 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
if you can run a USB 1 class compliant audio device on your linux
system with lower latency than the current minimum so far posted to
this thread, please post with the settings you use and the type of
device. if your best performance has already been posted, no need to
repeat it.

i'll get the ball rolling with 2048 frames. note that we are assuming
2 channels only, but duplex mode (simultaneous capture+playback).

with my, now old but "semper fi", tascam us-224 i've been happy with -r48000 -p128 -n2, for ages (5y+). thanks to Karsten Wiese and me self on this old and rusty us-x2y alsa "rawusb" jackd backend ;) alas, it is not the world class compliant snd-usb-audio you're asking about but a formerly derived one, snd-usb-usx2y.

but then, years have turned, and some usb 1.1 crappy devices (read very cheap, like the ones fitting like a usb mini-dongle, with only one line-out and other in) it's been quite usable with -r48000 -p128 -n3. this time using that classy snd-usb-audio ;)

aha, it helps a lot having a full preempt_rt (or threadirqs enabled) kernel and then fine tuned irq service threads priorities (think of, yours truly rtirq:)

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@xxxxxxxxx