Re: buying a new laptop

Atte André Jensen wrote:

Options (I can think of):

I saw a secondhand ThinkPad X61s (dual-core 1.6Ghz, 3Gb ram, 12" display) from a well known online shop I trust and used many times (bought my current laptop there). There's 6 months warrenty, and my general impression with ThinkPads is that they have good build quality, it's the only laptop I would consider buying used. It has firewire so...

I hear very good things about ThinkPads. They seem to be quite durable and perform well. You should check to see if its Firewire chipset has Linux support, though.

Go the netbook route. I'm at a loss here, all these new processors, both the i-series and the atom (N-series), I have no idea how well they perform. I tried a few from friends, and they seem fast enough. Anyone here making music on a netbook? This would most certainly mean I would have to get a usb soundcard, hmmm :-(

My wife has a System76 netbook. All of their hardware works with Linux, they sell them with Ubuntu 11.04 installed.

I've never seen a netbook with Firewire, though, I kind of doubt you're going to find any. I'd go with the Thinkpad if the built-in Firewire is supported by Linux. If the builtin FW isn't supported, you might be able to use a Firewire expansion card in the Thinkpad's slot.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx