Re: Aptosid & Debian music distributions => AVLinux recommended

hermann wrote:
Am Freitag, den 05.08.2011, 06:51 -1000 schrieb david:
Aptosid has all of that, too, including the 3.0 RT kernel.

Again, that is not true, you can install a rt-kernel to aptosid simply
with apt-get, but AFAIK it isn't a aptosid kernel (a big diff in the
applied patchs). It is a debian kernel with the debian patch set
applied.
The same was true before the rt kernel slips into debian, before that
you could simply install a pengutronix kernel for example.

I tried that (Pengutronix) kernel. Wouldn't boot at all. I'm not bothering with their kernels again.

The AV-linux rt kernel indeed is special designed for AV-linux.

Could be, I liked what I saw when it finally booted. (Although it's odd that the live DVD tries to mount the home partition on musicbox but fails with only a helpful display listing how to mount a partition.) But I also like ArtistX, the last Musix 2 beta, and am quite comfortable taking a non-audio distro and setting it up to do what I want to do in terms of audio.

Well, just tried to use AVLinux 5.0.1 with my USB soundcard, and JACK crashed on startup when I try to run 16msec latency. It will run at 32msec latency. Probably the lack of an RT kernel in the live DVD.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx