Re: searching a dark xylophone sample

On 07/09/2011 10:46 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 12:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Message: 10
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 20:42:04 +0200
From: fred<f.rech@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  searching a dark xylophone sample
Cc: Linux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Le 08/07/2011 20:34, Paul Davis a ?crit :
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM, fred<f.rech@xxxxxxxx>   wrote:

Does anyone here on the list think it is possible we have in a near
future
this kind of applis in Linux for free (as in beer)) ?

i find it unlikely, though it depends on precisely what you mean by
"this kind"

Mean, a good sound that is close to the real intrument
pianoteq is a fairly sophisticated piece of physical modelling
software. stuff like this doesn't grow on trees.

Yep ! But if one have a look inside, let say Ardour... do we have to
think there is wonderful trees
in your backyard Paul ? ;-))

The first DX7, the first once in the brown metal case without an update,
are able to produce those kinds of sounds, later DX7 or first DX7 with
updates or Hexter might do it too, while I won't use a later DX7 or
Hexter ;), since I own a 'real' old faithful DX7 and never updated it.
Dunno, if there's a way to program sounds for Hexter? If so, you should
try Hexter. Hexter seems to be able to emulate a DX7, but the presets
are garbage, compared with a real old faithful, non-upgraded DX7.

It's definitely meant to emulate a DX7, to the point that you can program it with a DX7 programmer via MIDI sysex messages, and load DX7 patch banks in to it. There's a copy of the original DX7 patches here -- I just loaded them in to Hexter and they seem to work fine (though I don't have a real DX7 to compare against, so I don't know how they sound compared to one):

http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~bensondj/html/dx7.html#patches

Thanks
Leigh