Re: Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

On 07/07/2011 11:08 AM, Renato wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:36:49 +0200
Arve Barsnes<arve.barsnes@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 7 July 2011 10:06, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
2011/7/7 Roberto Suárez Soto:

     So, what do the real pros (that'd be you ;-)) do?

They use hardware rigs. I'm quite serious.

Indeed. Ideally, the computer should not be responsible for any
guitar effects.

why?

renato

I'd like to know too. I know albums where the guitars are all running through NI Guitar Rig for example. I'm perfectly ok with Guitarix, Rakarrack, linuxDSP, Calf and the likes, I can get pretty decent sounds out of it. What I normally do is to record the clean guitar track while it does run through the desired effects before it goes to my headphones/monitors. Like this you record the guitar track with the right feel but you still have the possibility to play around with it afterwards. For serious studio work I'd prefer valve amps with decent speaker cabinets or valve combo's but for homerecording using the computer to process your guitar is a good option I think.

Best,

Jeremy