Re: Kernel 2.6.39

sonofzev@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

could there be any disadvantages for averaged desktop users, server
usage etc., if the kernel 2.6.39 is build as PREEMPT kernel?

Today I installed the kernel from the repositories of a major Distro:

$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 8 11:01:04 UTC 2011 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Some time ago I build the kernel myself:

$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.39.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 7 01:40:05 CEST 2011 x86_64
GNU/Linux

I'm asking, because I want to know, if it would be reasonable to appeal,
that major distros should build it as PREEMPT kernel.

Regards,

Ralf

_________

Hi Ralf,
My understanding that there would probably be not much differences for desktop
users. However (most) server users would not want a pre-emptively built as they
generally require to share their services whereas pre-emption can cause delays on
some services...
FWIW - this is only my limited understanding..  I have a pre-emptive kernel on my
general purpose laptop.. On my home server I have no latency on low value kernel
timer.. .

I recommend either building your own kernel (fairly easy, especially if you save
your config from previous builds).. Or getting a pre-built audio purpose kernel..

IIRC reading on this list sometime ago, the kernel folk don't want to incorporate RT PREEMPT into standard kernels because software running on the kernel can use RT stuff to cause a local DoS situation (the software using the RT functionality can make the kernel unavailable for non-RT uses). Or something like that!

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx