Re: Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

On 06/12/2011 09:40 AM, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:
Hi all--

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

I'm considering purchasing PianoTeq, but I wanted to try the demo. It
seems to work better with just the alsa driver than it does with jack, a
reversal of the usual situation.

I tested this several times by playing fast glissandi on the default
piano preset. Each time, my little EEE-PC netbook under jack choked with
xruns and a brief silence while PianoTeq 'reset' itself, but Alsa alone
chugged away with no xruns unless there was an extreme amount of load....

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this. It seems odd, especially
since the jack developers claim jack adds no latency by itself to the
picture in any situation---so, do we have a situation where the code is
better written for the alsa driver than for jackd? It seems we do, in
this case....

Which Jack version? Which kernel? Which OS?

Using Pianoteq myself, runs like a charm, with JACK, but it asks for pretty some CPU...

\r