Re: Off topic: building drum triggers for acoustic drums !

Den 17-05-2011 19:10, Renato skrev:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 10:41:57 +0200
Svend-Erik K Madsen<sv-e@xxxxxxx>  wrote:

Hi list

Anyone who has build drum triggers themselves ?

I just ordered some piezo transducers to build my own triggers, but
your experiences is most welcome regarding material used to
encapsulate transducers, rubber, foam rubber, how thick the size, and
so on.

I planned to build it up on some angel bracket inside the drum shell
and mount it on a lug screw so that the trigger will be placed
underneath the drumhead near the rim, don't know if thats good or
bad, and if a rim shoot would trigger too, of cause I don't want that
to happen on my snare, for which I plan to build a separate rim shoot
trigger too.

Hope someone will share their experiences :)

/Sv-e
_____
Hi, there is this open source project called megadrum
http://www.megadrum.info/
which gives you schematics and instructions to build a drum machine,
i.e. something you feed triggers into and which outputs MIDI. You can
even order kits or preassembled units.

I know it's not exactly what you were asking for but since Arduino came
in the discussion (which would, I suppose, have the same role as the
megadrum in such a project) you might want to look into it. I'm
definitely no expert but I think making the megadrum, although more
laborious, would have it's advantages over using an arduino. Well,
actually I even tried building such a thing with arduino some time ago,
and certainly I can tell you that it's not that easy to accurately
detect how hard you hit the piezo; the megadrum supposedly does this
good. Also the megadrum seems to have quite a community.

Maybe on the site you can even find some info on
building/clamping/placing your own triggers.

BTW there's a similar project called edrum
http://www.edrum.info/
I wouldn't be able to tell you the differences though

HTH
renato
Hi

I must admit that I've jumped out in Arduino, and this kinda kit: http://microdrum.altervista.org/blog/info/

I think it looks exciting and lots of fun.

BTW. I already succeeded building a trigger with an angel bracket, a piece of rubber-foam "20x30x70 mm", a 27mm piezo transducer and a bit of glue, and mounted it inside a drum shell, with full contact to a mesh-head.

It generates sound when connected to my sound card's preamp, so I assume it will do okay for the project.

/Sv-e