Re: Vocal remover/eliminator/Karaoke tool?

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 06:44:07 Ken Restivo wrote:
> Is there a JACK-capable vocal remover or vocal eliminator tool for linux?
> i.e. for karaoke applications.
>
> My daughter seems to be much more interested in singing along with
> dance-pop tracks than in creating her own.

What the karaoke-functions do is mix left-right for the left channel and
right-left for the right channel. That removes what is panned in the middle:
 - Most times it removes the lead voice.
 - Sometimes it removes some instruments.
 - It always removes the low frequencies of bass and bass-drum.
 - Sometimes it doesn't remove the voice(s) at all, try Eric Clapton & B.B.
King on "Riding with the king" :-)

So an advanced version of such a plugin does the left-right mixing only for
the higher frequencies and lets the low frequencies pass. KDE had such a
version back in the times of aRts and KDE3...

But its easy to coble something like that together in pd or any other synth
builder.

Have fun,

Arnold