Re: jack clipping level in dB

On 26/04/11 21:52, Harry Van Haaren wrote:

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM, andy baxter <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I have a signal from a Supercollider program which goes into jack.
    I want to adjust the signal level so it's as loud as possible
    without clipping. Could someone tell me what is the loudest sound
    that doesn't get clipped in dB, as measured by ardour or
    meterbridge for example?

To be nasty, 0dBFS... but that's not the answer you're looking for. JACK's audio is floating-point between -1 -> 1. Hence outputting all 0's is silence. If you scale your output to be between -1, 1 then you've got what you want.

Note that inter-sample peaks in high frequencies will still go beyond your DAC's range, so there might be clipping in hardware... but I'm not too certain in that field.

Cheers, -Harry

OK. I was aiming for about that, but I noticed that ardour's peak level meters go into positive decibels as well.

thanks,

andy