new version of jackctl.py available

Hi all,

You can download the newest version of my simple python script for making jack, jack-midi, and alsa-midi connections from an interactive command line interface here:

http://www.akjmusic.com/software/jackctl20110317.py

All you need, of course, is Python. And who doesn't have that on their system nowadays? Just put it someplace in your PATH, and link it to a more generic name like so:

ÂÂÂÂ $ÂÂ mv jackctl20110317.py /usr/local/bin
ÂÂÂÂ $ÂÂ sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/jackctl20110317.py /usr/local/bin/jackctl.py

Why not "qjackctl"? Maybe you like the swift stealth of the command line, or maybe you don't want GUI overhead, or packaging overhead of having to install QT if you otherwise wouldn't...

new features in this version:

1) you can edit a sample jackd command line within the script itself, and with the new 's' command, you can thus toggle the jack server on and off right from within "jackctl".

2) cleaner and clearer command prompt, unambiguously indicating three toggle modes: audio, alsa-midi, and jack-midi

3) got rid of the silly terrible joke about growing fruit from your computer :) Or did I? You'll just have to find out.... ;)

Let me know if you find any bugs....I want to try and convince Paul Davis to package this script with future distributions of jackd itself---your happiness with this script may make it possible :)

Best,
--
Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.akjmusic.com