Re: Linux Laptops?

Ken Restivo wrote:
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 03:29:52PM -1000, david wrote:
Ken Restivo wrote:
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 04:41:25PM -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
Hey all,

After getting scorched by purchasing two laptops with almost zero Linux support (battery status? what battery?), I have decided to go
 looking for a laptop that is sold by a company that supports
Linux. I'm looking for any pointers to companies that sell Laptops
that run Linux here in the US.  (I'm already familiar with
System76.)  Bonus points if you've done business with them and have
praise or warnings to go along with the pointers.  Feel free to
shill for your own company if you want, just make sure if you
recommend a laptop that Linux can read the damn battery status.  :)
I bought an Asus laptop (Core 2 Duo, 2.33Ghz) 4 years ago and it is
still my main audio production station on Linux. There was some
weirdage with the ATA support; a SATA drive would have been a better
choice, but that wasn't their fault, it was mine in configuring the
machine.

I also have an Asus EEE in which everything "just works", better than
any hardware I've ever had... probably because Asus used to actually
ship the EEE with Linux.
A friend of mine's family has a number of Asus EEE PCs, they all work
very nicely with Linux.

I have used ThinkPads before, and they do indeed work well on Linux,
but I absolutely HATE HATE HATE that damned nurple. I will never buy
a Thinkpad again. Gimme a trackpad or trackball or a real mouse any
day, and please, no nurple.
Decades ago, at a previous employment, I borrowed a Thinkpad laptop to
take notes at a meeting. It had the IBM Trackpoint in the keyboard. I
used the laptop for about 45 minutes, went back to my desktop machine
(also an IBM, but no Trackpoint in the keyboard) - and found my fingers
automatically reaching for the Trackpoint. They are incredibly
efficient. Sorry you didn't like it.

I guess some people actually do like it.

ThinkPad + focus_on_mouse + typing anything with a 'g' or 'h' in it == TROUBLE.

Didn't have any trouble typing those letters. What do you mean by "focus_on_mouse"?

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx