Re: codecs vs patents

On 13/02/11 22:50, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
Hi,

Just spotted this in the wild.

http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org/toots/codecs/codecs.pdf

Food for thought re the looming VP8 patent battle.

Microsoft just got Nokia and will do their best to take out MeeGo and all
the support for open source that Nokia currently embraces. We certainly
don't need them to take out html5 video too.

I've only skimmed the document you linked, but I'm not sure what your implications are around HTML5 video and the Microsoft/Nokia deal. I can't see Microsoft doing anything to kill HTML5 in general -- they have just as much to gain from it in the mobile space as anyone else.

Microsoft will certainly push H.264 and AAC, but so did Nokia. In fact, despite their generally excellent service to open-source in general, Nokia was one of the most vocal opponents to the inclusion of mandatory Vorbis and Theora support in the HTML5 draft specifications.

Thanks
Leigh