Re: Snd learning curve

Am 10.02.2011 21:00, schrieb Bill Schottstaedt:
Thanks for the kind words about Snd!

Thanks to you for asking us so kindly for wishes regarding Snd!

 If any of you have the
time and inclination, I'd like to hear how Snd should be changed
to make it easier to use.

I do not think, that Snd is too hard to use. Given its plethora of capabilities it cannot and should not be made much more simple without sacrifying flexibility I guess.

BUT
It is indeed hard to configure. Too hard for even an advanced beginner.

So if this could be possible without too much effort I would be very very happy about a distribution of Snd, that allows to switch all menues and modules that Snd can actually handle on in a simple pereferences-dialogue. And that these menues actually pop up and work as expected.

Examples: IÂd like to have that rightklick-menu for regions that allows them to be played looped. LADSPA-Modules can be applied in real time and their parameters can be automated in Snd, if this works in any recent distribution without any hassle -- great!

So simply put: If Snd could handle everything it has to offer in any distribution, that would be great and a vast improvement.

Some 2 or so small wishes also:

1.) It would be nice, to have a play-cursor as known from most Wave-Editors like Mhwaveedit or Ardour.

2.) It would help to have a little switch, that allows to treat all channels in a multi-channel-file as one, so one can work more easily with stereofiles.

3.) to have a rightklick-menu entry that allows to save a region or a marked section to a new file with the opportunity to render effects etc to that file...

 My main interest is in the sound
processing, not the user interface (which I guess is painfully obvious),
and I use Snd mainly to work on synthesis.

I use it for manipulation of sounds. Especially the granular-synthesis is priceless :-) And I store my results by recording Snds output with qarecord via jack and edit the recorded material with Mhwaveedit...

 I almost never
try to, for example, edit a recording.  Right now, the gtk version
is in transition from gdk to cairo and gtk2 to gtk3, so it's a worse
mess than usual.  But, it's a good time to make major changes!

best regards and thanks again for Snd -- the program that made me stay with Linux 10 years ago, since it showed me, that really interesting things *can* be done with Audio under Linux ;-)

HZN/Berlin