Re: Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

Am 08.02.2011 17:33, schrieb david:
Hartmut Noack wrote:
Am 08.02.2011 09:15, schrieb david:
Hartmut Noack wrote:
Am 08.02.2011 08:35, schrieb david:
Robin Gareus wrote:
Hi Mike,

On 02/07/2011 04:40 PM, Mike Cookson wrote:
For non-realtime (including non-linear, like montage) processing you
need only plugins (ladspa, lv2, vamp) and some editor like Audacity,
mhWaveEdit or something other.

For realtime (also called
non-destructive editing... hm, probably, they are right :) you need
set of various software, that could be used at one time and be
connected each to other).

real-time effects processing and non-destructive editing often go
hand
in hand, but note that

"non-destructive" means that the original [audio] data will never be
modified. Any edit/effect/modifications are saved as new files (or
remebered as application-settings operating on the original data).

audio-editors (rezound, audacity, sweep, etc) are usually
destructive:
load file, apply effect, save file -> original file is gone.

Audacity is import audio file, apply effect, save project (optional),
export in chosen format. It never replaces the original file.

So there is a major dfference between audiofiles, you have imported
and audiofiles, you have recorded with audacity -- correct?

No, I never have. I usually use JACK, and have never been able to make
Audacity work with JACK. I've only done the following things with
Audacity:

1. Import 16 tracks of 32-bit WAV files (recorded on another machine
from my church band's Firewire interface using some Windows software)
and do basic mixing.

2. Trim and cleanup voice audio recordings made on my PDA.

3. Trim and convert wave files recorded using jack_capture.

4. Pitch shift prerecorded MP3s if needed for band members who play
solely by ear (if the recording's in Eb and we're playing it in D,
they're lost).

If you have the time and brains needed to learn Ardour, go for it!

I think it is a myth, that Ardour is too complicated to learn for a
beginner.

Perhaps it's a myth for others. I responded only from my own experience.

There are plenty of folk here who use Ardour and do wonderful things
with it. Advanced features? I couldn't tell an advanced feature from a
basic feature. I couldn't even figure out to simply record anything with
it, and Ardour's "automagic" setup didn't seem to include that connection.

New Project -> add stereo-track -> arm it for recording -> klick the red record-button in the upper left play-control.

Here is another little trick that may be helpfull for beginners:

SHIFT+E pops up the Mixer-channel of the active track. Klick around in it to solve most of the problems and answer most of the questions that may arise for a beginner in Ardour. Such as from top to bottom:

- where is my sound-card input signal going to?
- where are these plug-ins and how and where can I insert them?

Do not get me wrong: Ardour IS in fact not the most simple of the beasts. But the comparably little effort to get it under controll brings a lot of benefits that are must haves for serious audio-work. The most prominent are realtime-mix/FX and automation.

What good is a simple interface if it does not give you the possibility to set the parameters of an EQ *while* you hear, what you do.

As I switched from Windows 98 and Samplitude to Linux 2.4 I tried all audio-editors available for Suse 7.3 and the only one that I found to be worthwhile was SND. Shortly after that I heared word from Ardour that was a legend that time. Only installable by wizards that know how to compile komplex software from source and only runable with the magickal jack, who needed an even more magical rt-kernel.

I worked for months until I had this Ardour-thing running and from that very point I knew, that I would never again install a dual-boot system.

No insult to Ardour, I'm no audio techno whiz. I figured I'd wait til
Ardour 3 is released and I have the time to learn it.