Re: a lot of xruns after upgrading from ubuntu 8.04 to, 10.04

On 02/02/2011 08:29 PM, Kim Cascone wrote:
I've also been having some issues with xruns (mostly while using the
zynaddsubfx synth) and have been fiddling with my Jack settings to see
if I can minimize them

Hello Kim,

Try Yoshimi. ZASFX is notorious for generating xruns.

current settings: RT=true; Priority: 89; Frames: 1024; SR: 44kHz,
Periods/Buffer: 3; and my latency is 69.7mS

89 is too high, it's better to run JACK with a prio around 70. Now JACK's watchdog thread I running prio 99 which might cause problems with other processes running that prio.

-- I'm using the 2.6.36-3.dmz.2-liquorix-686 kernel
-- another weird anomaly is that I get clicks from the zynaddsubfx synth
engine when pressing more than one or two keys at once or when going
from one key to another -- mostly heard on pads...this happens
intermittently and doesn't happen all the time

Yoshimi doesn't suffer from this issue either.

settings in my limits.conf file:
==================================

/etc/security/limits.conf
@kim - rtprio 99
@kim - memlock unlimited

settings in my audio.conf file:
================================

/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
the same parameters are # commented out in the 'audio.conf' file

do they need to be uncommented out?
not sure why there exist two places and whether having one location is
sufficient...?

They should be commented out in your /etc/security/limits.conf file (or don't exist at all in that file) but exist in your /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf file. The lines used to get added to the limits.conf file but recently a lot of distro's moved to adding them to the audio.conf file.

is there a thread or page where Jackd optimization is discussed in detail?
I've read the Jack FAQ http://jackaudio.org/faq

but it would be helpful if there was something outlining how to adjust
all the various params to minimize xruns for various work environments...

JACK parameters alone won't help you set up an xrun free audio environment, it takes some more: http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration (that wiki page is continously being updated, so if it contains any errors please let me know)

Best,

Jeremy